You are here:
Home / Your Property / Gas and Heating

Gas and Heating


What to do in the event of a gas leak

If you smell gas, or believe that gas is leaking:

DO NOT smoke or light a match

DO NOT turn light switches on or off

DO NOT do anything to create a spark

Instead, you must call Transco on 0800 111 999 (if you have a mobile phone, leave the property first, then ring Transco) and leave the property. If the meter is outside, turn off the gas at the meter and wait outside for the emergency engineer.


Methods of Heating

Your home is supplied with heating and hot water, in one of three different ways:

  • Being connected to a communal heating systems
  • By having separate gas/electric fires and water heaters
  • With your own central heating system.

Communal Heating Systems

Our communal heating systems provide heating continuously. You are able to control the heating by turning the room thermostat or the radiator valves up (anti-clockwise) or down, or off.

Seperate Gas/Electric Fires and Water Heaters

A small number of our homes have separate fires and water heaters as their only sources of heating and hot water. You turn these on and off as you want.

Central Heating Systems

The vast majority of our homes have a central heating system. Your system will either have a normal boiler, or a combination boiler that provides hot water directly. A normal boiler system will consist of a boiler, a pump, a hot water cylinder, a programmer and a room thermostat. You can control the heating and hot water separately by using the programmer according to your lifestyle. A combination boiler system will only consist of a boiler, a programmer and a thermostat. As the hot water will always be available whenever you turn on the hot water taps, you only need to control the heating. 

In order to ensure the safety of residents and members of the public, all properties that contain gas appliances must receive a Gas Safety Check every 12 months. We arrange that for you through Smith & Byford.

If you have any queries, then please email us at Don't forget if problem with your heating system you can call Smith & Byford on Freephone 0800 389 0867 or if you have a gas leak contact Transco on 0800 111 999.

Thinking Of Having A Real Fire In Your Home?

If you are thinking of using your fireplace to burn coal or logs, there are a number of vital safety issues that you must consider beforehand. For more information on these issues, contact the Planned Maintenance Team via SHP’s Customer Services department. 

Furthermore, you will need to find out whether your home is in a smokeless zone. To find out if you are in this zone, contact Sutton Council’s Environmental Services department.

If you want to see satisfaction details look at the about us heading under plans and performance you will find the balanced scoresheet and gas and heating comes under services planned maintenance.

If you are a leaseholder and want information regarding gas servicing look under the leaseholders heading and you will find information under the access to repairs and gas servicing tab.




Last Updated: Wednesday 08 March 2017