You are here:
Home / Your Property / Gas and Heating / Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

What to do in the event of a gas leak
If you smell gas, or believe that gas is leaking:
DO NOT smoke or light a match
DO NOT turn light switches on or off
DO NOT do anything to create a spark

Instead, you must call Transco on 0800 111 999 (if you have a mobile phone, leave the property first, then ring Transco) and leave the property. If the meter is outside, turn off the gas at the meter and wait outside for the emergency engineer.

What to do in the event of carbon monoxide
What are the Symptoms? The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include severe headaches, dizziness, feeling sick, and a general lack of energy. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can easily be confused with: 

  • Flu
  • Severe Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • General Lethargy

The early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

  • Tiredness
  • Headaches
  • Chest or stomach pains

If you experience any of these symptoms while using a gas appliance, you need urgent medical attention. Severe carbon monoxide poisoning makes the body turn a cherry-red colour. Unlike lack of oxygen due to choking, for example, the body does not turn blue (cyanosis). Instead, the victim’s skin will be pink or pale with bright red lips. Carbon monoxide poisoning can affect the victim’s mental ability before she or he is even aware that there is a problem. Any effort that increases the body’s need for oxygen only makes the problem worse, rapidly leading to collapse and potentially death.

What Action To Take?
It is vital that the victim is removed immediately from the contaminated area, placed into the open air and given pure oxygen, if available. Victims should be kept at rest, avoiding exertion. You must call for an Ambulance on 999.

ARE YOU SAFE? Book your Gas Safety Check on Freephone 0800 389 0867

A Scary Bedtime Story

We have all slept in our lounges from time to time. However, have you considered the danger that you might be in when you do so?

If there is a working gas appliance in the room where you are sleeping, then it could put you in mortal danger. If it hasn’t been serviced properly, or the flue has become blocked, then it is possible that carbon monoxide will seep into the room whenever it is working.

Carbon monoxide is known as The Silent Killer, for sound reasons – it is odourless and colourless. If you’re awake when it’s seeping into the room, then you won’t realise what is happening. If you’re asleep, then you won’t wake up. The good news is that some boilers are room-sealed, which means that this won’t happen. But many boilers aren’t room-sealed and neither are any gas fires. And some boilers, known as back-boilers, are hidden behind the gas fire.

To be safe, we have instructed Smith & Byford, our gas servicing contractor to disconnect any boilers working in rooms that are being used for sleeping in.

If you are going to let someone sleep in the lounge, then you must check to see if there are any gas appliances there, first. If you are unsure, please ask Smith & Byford on Freephone 0800 389 0867 or contact your gas contractor.

 
 
 
Last Updated: Tuesday 16 December 2014