You are here:
Home / Your Rent / Paying Your Rent / Housing Benefit and Rent

Housing Benefit and Rent

Housing Benefits

Housing Benefit is a government scheme, administered by the council, which provides help towards paying your rent. It is also called rent rebate or rent allowance.
It can be used to pay your rent and other associated costs such as maintenance of communal areas. It does not help with day to day living costs such as food or heating or water rates.

Who can claim it?

If you are on low income and pay rent, either to the council, a private landlord or a housing association, you can claim housing benefit. Anyone can apply for housing benefit who has a rent liability. Personal circumstances and income are taken into account to assess eligibility.

You cannot claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You own your property
  • You pay rent to a close relative who also lives in the same property
  • You have savings of £16,000 or more
  • You are a full time student (unless you are under 19 or disabled or live with a partner or have children)

You are excluded from receiving public funds (e.g. some asylum seekers and other non-UK nationals)

Your claim will be affected if:

You have savings over £6,000 - this may reduce the amount of benefit you can claim

You have savings over £6,000 - this may reduce the amount of benefit you can claim

You are single and under 25 years old - your housing benefit might be lower

You are a private tenant and the Rent Officer determines that the rent used to work out benefit is less than the full rent

You have a non-dependant living in your household when benefit may be reduced. The amount of reduction will depend on the income of the non-dependant.

Will I be entitled to benefit?

The following link will take you to a housing benefit calculator on the Council’s website.

How do I claim?

A joint Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit application form that can be used for either or both benefits. New claimants should call 020 8770 6953 or 020 8770 5444.

Do not delay supplying any information to housing benefit as you may lose benefit to which you are entitled. You can claim up to 13 weeks in advance, so if you know you are moving to Sutton soon or your circumstances are about to change you can claim now.

If you have any questions about your application please talk to our Rent Income Team on 020 8915 2000 or the Council’s Housing Benefit Service (020 8770 5444).

Housing Benefit
1st Floor
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

This is also the address to which you should return your original documents.






Last Updated: Wednesday 08 March 2017