COVID-19 (Coronavirus) FAQs

Our priority is to keep residents and staff safe during the ongoing COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak. Get the latest updates on our response here.

In response to the latest advice from the government, we have had to make a number of changes to the services we deliver. The aims of these changes are to:

  • Ensure the safety of our residents and staff

  • Act on the government’s guidance and do our part to delay the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) 

  • Keep key services going during these very challenging times.

For information about services delivered by Sutton Council, including waste and recycling, schools and leisure facilities, please visit the Council's website.

You can also join the Sutton Coronavirus Support and Action Facebook Group to stay up to date with the response in the borough, find out how to help others and get support if you need it. 

Where can I go for the latest medical advice and information on what to do if I have symptoms?

Please regularly check the NHS website for the latest advice and information. 

How can I get help with paying my rent?

Sutton Housing Partnership are putting plans in place to provide residents with support throughout this difficult time and will work with you to sustain your tenancy in the event that you should fall into financial difficulty. 

For individuals that are struggling or have had a change in circumstances, Sutton Housing Partnership will offer support and guidance to apply for appropriate benefits and make reasonable agreements where necessary.  

If you are worried about paying your rent please contact your Housing Manager. They can offer help and advice on the support that is available.

Can I stop paying my rent because of Coronavirus?

No, if you are experiencing financial difficulty as a result of the Coronavirus please contact your Housing Manager who will be able to discuss your circumstances.

Housing Managers will continue to contact residents in arrears to provide advice and guidance to enable you to apply for appropriate benefits. 

Will I be evicted if I fall into arrears?

Sutton Housing Partnership will work with all residents to provide support and guidance throughout this time and will adhere to any emergency legislation that is introduced.  

There are various places you can contact to get help. We have listed some of these :

Universal Credit Application

Housing Benefit Claim

Links to Debt Advice and Support Agencies (Employment and Advice section)

Turn 2 Us - Benefits Calculator

Step Change Debt Charity

Christians Against Poverty

Money Advice Services

How can I get help with paying my leaseholder service charge?

If you are worried about paying your service charge, please call our Home Ownership Team on 020 8915 2020 or email them at

What about our council tax?

Sutton Council has advice on what to do if you are worried about paying your council tax on their website. 

The Government has announced that they will be making funding available to councils to help provide support to residents who are experiencing hardship. At this stage the Council is waiting to find out how much they will receive and any rules about how they allocate it. As soon as they know this they will make details of the scheme available.

Are repairs going ahead as planned? 

Our repairs service depends on visits, so we’re checking whether you are unwell or selt-isolating before we arrive. If not, the repair will go ahead with the usual precautions around hand washing and respiratory hygiene.

If you need an emergency repair and members of the household are unwell or self-isolating, we will wear protective clothing and equipment when we visit. 

When we arrive we will ask you to unlock the front door and move into a different room, with the door closed, while the work is done. When we’re finished we will carefully dispose of or clean the protective equipment. 

Can I see my Housing Manager, or a member of the SHP team, face-to-face?

At the moment, it’s important we minimise face to face contact and do as much as possible by phone, email or online.

Where we need to see you face-to-face, we will check in advance that you are not unwell or self-isolating. If you are unwell or self-isolating we will not visit, but will take steps to check that you are being supported. 

Is Sutton Gate reception open? 

Yes. We are exploring measures we can put in place in reception to reduce the risk to staff and residents.

Are Community Hubs open?

No. Our Community Hubs and drop-in sessions have been suspended for now, as have resident association meetings and events that we were facilitating in communal lounges. 

What are you doing to support vulnerable residents? 

We are reaching out to those who may need extra help, advice or guidance by phone. 

We have written to all residents to let them know about the steps we are taking and the temporary changes to our services. If you are worried about yourself or a neighbour please contact your Housing Manager

What cleaning products are being used in communal areas?

Our Caretaking Team are using cleaning products which are recommended to combat COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in communal areas.

How are you supporting people in Independent Living accommodation?

For now we have made a general change in our Independent Living service, moving from face-to-face contact and to telephone calls. Independent Living Officers will still be in touch with residents who agree for us to contact them , and can help if you need to access support through social care services or the voluntary sector. 

We have written to all Independent Living residents to tell them about the changes we are making. 

How can the voluntary sector help me if I can’t leave my home to buy my basic essentials?

Age UK Sutton will coordinate and deploy volunteers to support older people who are vulnerable or struggling in self-isolation, and to reduce pressure on the NHS and Social Care (Tel: 020 8915 2233). 

You can contact the Volunteer Centre Sutton and discuss the difficulties you may be experiencing and discuss the support you may need to overcome these (Tel: 020 8661 5900).

How can I find out about food banks near me?

You can find out about food banks in your area either to donate or pick-up food by visiting the Trussell Trust website.