We've been made aware of a possible scam where small number of residents have been visited by people claiming to be from Age UK Sutton, who have taken money for shopping. Unfortunately these people have not returned, and have stolen the money given to them.
Nicola Upton, Chief Executive of Age UK Sutton, explains that these visits have nothing to do with the charity and offered this guidance:
"Age UK Sutton never makes door to door 'cold calls' to offer services or to collect funds. We will not visit your home without prior arrangement with you, so if someone comes to your door claiming to be from Age UK Sutton or Age UK and you were not expecting them, please let us know and do not let them in or give them money.
"Age UK Sutton can provide support with shopping, food parcels, wellbeing and welfare, advice and support. We are here for all residents of the borough. If you or someone you know needs support, please call or email us - 0208 9152233 / firstname.lastname@example.org."
We all need to be on our guard against scammers who are trying to take advantage of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak.
Be aware of people offering or selling:
- Virus testing kits - these are only offered by NHS
- Vaccines or miracle cures
- Overpriced or fake goods
- Shopping or medication collection services
- Home decontamination services
Protect yourself and others by following these tips:
- Don't be rushed into making a decision.
- Don't click on the links or attachments in suspicious emails. Never respond to unsolicited messages or calls that ask for personal or financial details.
- Don't assume everyone is genuine. It's okay to reject, refuse or ignore any requests.
- If someone claims to represent a charity, ask them for ID. Be suspicious of requests for money up front.
- Check with family and friends before accepting offers of help if you're unsure.
For advice on scams call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 11 33.
More information about staying safe from scams during COVID-19 is available on the Friends Against Scams website.