Rent, service charges and financial support during COVID-19

We understand you may be worried about the impact of the current situation on your income, and we’re here to help. No tenant will be evicted from an SHP home if there’s evidence you have been unable to pay rent as a result of COVID-19.


If you’re worried about paying your rent, or your finances in general, please contact your Housing Manager as soon as possible so they can help. You’re expected to pay your rent in the normal way unless you’ve spoken to us, so please get in touch if you need to. 

If you have a low income and are unable to work from home, and you need to self-isolate, you may be eligible for financial support (opens in new window). This will be a £500 lump sum.


If you’re a leaseholder worried about paying your service charge or major works invoices, please contact our Home Ownership Team on 020 8915 2020 or at and we will be able to offer you support. Please also check the government's website (opens in new window) to ensure you are claiming any support you are entitled to.

Where else can I get help if Iā€™m worried about my finances?

Your Housing Manager will work with you to provide support and guidance throughout this time. There are also advice services and charities you can contact to get help:

Universal Credit Application

Housing Benefit Claim

Links to Debt Advice and Support Agencies (Employment and Advice section)

Turn 2 Us - Benefits Calculator

Step Change Debt Charity

Christians Against Poverty

Money Advice Services


What about council tax?

On Sutton Council's website, there is advice about what to do if you're worried about paying your council tax and information about financial schemes available to residents who are employed, self-employed or struggling financially due to COVID-19

What should I do if I am struggling to pay my mortgage?

Please contact your mortgage company who may be able to offer you advice on paying your mortgage during this period.

Are you still accepting leaseholder service charge payments by cheque, Post Office or bank payment?

Because of current restrictions on staff working in our office, we recommend you call us to set up a Direct Debit or use the automatic payment phone line (0208 770 7887).

If you have sent us a cheque recently, we will debit it but there may be a delay of some days due to the restrictions on travel and collecting cheques from the office.