Moving into your home
If you are in need of housing and want to apply for social housing in Sutton you can find out how by reading our apply for council housing page.
If you are offered a home we will arrange a time for you to sign a tenancy agreement and move in. When you sign up you will:
- sign a tenancy agreement
- set up a direct debit or tell us how you’re going to pay your rent
- make payment for your first week's rent
- get the keys to your home
When you sign up we will:
- explain your rights and responsibilities
- show you how to log in to your online account
- show you how to make a payment, book a repair and check your account balance
- make an appointment for your Housing Manager to visit you in 6 weeks and 8 months time.
When you move in you will sign either an:
- introductory tenancy
- secure tenancy
- licence agreement
Each tenancy has different terms and conditions and rights and responsibilities. If you want to discuss these or how they differ from one another please contact us.
If you have an introductory tenancy it will convert to a secure tenancy after 12 months. This may not happen if you have not kept to the terms and conditions of your tenancy.
For more information see our tenancy conditions, tenancy handbook, letting standards and void standards below.
Things to consider before you move in:
- apply for contents insurance
- understand fire safety and asbestos in the home
- you may qualify for a discount on your water and waste bills through the WaterSure Plus (opens in new window) scheme
- instructions on how to use your ED4+ Handset (PDF, 1.38MB) if you have a shared entry door
As an SHP tenant, you agree to:
- Abide by the Good Neighbour Agreement (PDF, 156KB) and the Tenancy Management and Housing Options Policy [pdf] 125KB .
- Read and agree to the Privacy Notice set out on SHP's website, and understand how your personal data may be used and shared once you are a tenant.
- Consent to SHP making a referral on my behalf to the Inspire drug and alcohol service if we become aware of any issues of this kind during the tenancy.
Sutton Housing Partnership will undertake checks against Credit Reference Agency data, or other third parties, to help verify applicant details to improve the efficiency of ongoing administration and to check for instances of fraud.