Apply for contents insurance

When you rent a house from us, your rent payment does not include insurance for your home contents. It is your responsibility to insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Home contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your possessions could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

The London Borough of Sutton administers a home contents insurance scheme that is open to SHP tenants.

Benefits include:

  • premiums are paid weekly with your rent
  • no excess
  • cover for fire, theft, water damage & other household risks
  • covers freezer content, theft and loss of keys
  • no minimum security requirements
  • no long term commitment - you literally 'pay as you go'
  • optional extensions available, for example: extended accidental damage, wheelchair/mobility scooters, hearing aids, personal possessions (away from home) and sheds, garages and greenhouses.

How to apply

To find out more and to apply for the scheme please visit Sutton Council's home contents insurance webpage (opens in new window).

Thistle Tenant Risks

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Read Thistle Tenants Risks Data Protection Privacy Policy