Request permission to keep a pet

If you are a tenant or resident you need permission to keep a pet. You can normally only get permission for 2 animals.

Permission to keep a pet form


1. Request it

You can request permission to keep a pet by completing the form above or by calling, emailing, visiting or writing to SHP.

When you request permission we'll need to know:

  • type of animal

  • its size

  • its breed

  • its colour

  • any trace recording method (e.g. dog chipping)

You will also need to provide a picture of the animal.


2. We review your request

Permission will not be given for:

  • animals registered under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976

  • farm animals e.g. horses, cattle, pigs

  • chickens or ducks

  • dogs registered under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991  


Dangerous dogs include:

  • Pitt Bull Terrier

  • Japense Tosa

  • Dogo Argentino

  • Fila Brasileiro

We also will not give permission if there are ongoing or past problems with pet ownership.


3. We tell you our decision

We will tell you whether you have permission to keep the pet or not by email. We will also update our records.  


Things to keep in mind
  • if you have rent arrears we may refuse your request

  • you are responsible for animals kept in your home, their care and supervision at all times.

  • you must not allow your pet to cause:

    • nuisance and Anti-social behaviour

    • annoyance

    • danger

    • noise that disturbs others

    • damage to your home or council property

    • fouling or mess in communal areas

    • your home to become unhygienic

  • we will take action if you fail to control your pet or you are cruel to it.