Report a repair

Carrying out simple repairs at home

We are always here to help with your repairs or safety issues but there are a number of repairs that you can carry out at home. 

To help you carry out some simple repairs in your home, we have put together some videos below which provide a step-by-step guide on doing this quickly and safely.

YouTube video explaining how to fix a tripped fuse YouTube video explaining how to stop a leak
 YouTube video explaining how to check your smoke alarm






Emergency repairs

If you have an emergency repair (immediate danger to your safety or major damage to your property) please call us immediately on 020 8915 2000 (this includes any emergencies that happen after 5pm or at weekends). 

If you smell gas call National Grid on 0800 111 999.

Reporting repairs

Before reporting a repair please double check our repairs responsibilities - it may be something you are responsible for and can take care of yourself, without having to wait.

You can use these DIY guides to help you get your repair fixed quickly.

If it is something we are responsible for:

Report a repair online

When you report a repair you will need to tell us:

  • who is reporting the repair
  • what the repair is
  • where the repair is and any access needs
  • how we can contact that person reporting the repair.

Repairs FAQs

Read our repairs FAQs to find out: 

  • how quickly we will attend
  • how we prioritise repairs
  • how our repairs appointments work
  • when we charge for repairs
  • what you should do if you repair isn't done well enough, and more.

You can also read our Responsive Repairs Policy 2021 (PDF, 135KB).

Things to keep in mind

  • We may charge you for any damage to the property that’s not down to fair wear and tear.
  • We may charge you for repairs that fall outside what we are responsible for.
  • Tenants have a right to repair for small repairs which are not finished in a timely fashion.
  • If you are concerned about asbestos in your property do not disturb it and contact us.
  • We strongly recommend you take out contents insurance. Your personal belongings are not covered by Sutton Council's building insurance.
  • You should direct any liability claims to Sutton Council.