Community Walkabouts will build stronger communities where residents can lead on or identify issues which may be cause for concern and so help improve their estates. This will include encouraging and supporting residents to identify areas to include:
- minor estate improvements
- ASB or crime related issues
- highways concerns including abandoned vehicles
We want you to take pride in your area and to work with your Housing Manager and other residents within the community, to make the area a safe and well maintained place to live. The walkabout will help us to:
- target areas of concerns.
- inform residents of our role and how we work with partner agencies to resolve issues of concern and achieve mutual objectives.
- promote ways for all residents to become involved in your local area and decision making.
- identify improvement for the external environment including opportunities to reduce anti-social behaviour (ASB).
- provide active engagement for you.
- developing plans for your community.
- Work in partnership with other services in the borough.
Frequency of Community Walkabouts
Walkabouts will take place once a year and include all large block properties managed by SHP and some street properties where there are known issues or concerns. Housing Managers will prepare the Community Walkabout 8 weeks prior to it taking place. They will oversee invites and communicate the purpose of the community walkabout with colleagues and partners who may be invited or required to attend.
Who may attend the Community Walkabouts
Where there are emerging issues which may have been raised with the Senior Leadership team, a representative at a more senior level will be invited to attend. The walkabouts will be tailored to address emerging concerns within a particular area, for example, the London Fire Brigade and officers from the Risk and Compliance team at SHP would be invited to attend where fire safety concerns have been raised by residents.
Front facing staff who actively work on the estate will attend and these will include:
- Housing Manager
- Ground maintenance
- Area Housing Manager
- Communal Surveyor
We will also extend an invitation to the following (where appropriate):
- All SHP colleagues (to encourage and promote personal development)
- Board Members
- Sutton Leaseholders Association
- Sutton Council Representatives
What happens after a Community Walkabout
Housing Managers will develop an action plan and agree timescales with relevant colleagues or partners.
All actions will be reviewed quarterly to ensure that all commitments have been met and if matters have not been progressed, these will be passed to the Area Housing Manager to take further.
If you would like more information or to let us know you are coming to a walkabout you can contact your Housing Manager or call us on 020 8915 2000.
Community walkabout dates 2020/21
|Location||Date and Time||Housing Manager|
Thursday 10 September, 10am - 12pm
|St Pauls Close
Thursday 17 September, 10am - 11am
Wednesday 30 September, 10am - 12pm
Thursday 15 October, 10am - 12pm
Thursday 22 October, 10am - 12pm