DIY and how-to guides
There are lots of repairs around your home that you can do without having to wait for an appointment.
Check which repairs you are responsible for to find out how we work together to keep your home in good condition.
If you are not sure how to do a repair, there are lots of websites that offer free help and advice:
- B&Q how-to guides (opens in new window)
- Wickes how-to guides (opens in new window)
- Homebase how-to guides (opens in new window)
There are also plenty of practical videos showing you how to carry out various repairs on YouTube (opens in new window).
Need some help?
If you are having trouble doing a repair there are a few things you can do:
- ask a family member, neighbour or friend for help
- follow a how to guide online
- find an accredited tradesperson - try checkatrade.com (opens in new window) for recommendations in your area or check the Age UK Business Directory For London (opens in new window) for trusted traders
- contact your local Home Improvement Agency - these local not-for-profit organisations help older people stay safe, secure, warm and independent in their own home. You can find one in the foundations.uk.com (opens in new window) directory.