We would not usually consider DIY noise to be anti-social behaviour.

  • We would suggest you have a friendly word with your neighbour first as they may not be aware they are disturbing you. We've put together some tips to help you resolve issues with neighbours.  You can also download our concern card (PDF 44KB)
  • If you still feel you are being disturbed, we suggest you contact Sutton Council’s Environmental Health Team on 020 8770 5000. If they take enforcement action, we will use this as evidence against the person responsible if appropriate. This may result in tenancy enforcement action.
  • If the situation does not improve, mediation might be of help to you. Mediation is an informal, confidential and independent service available to help neighbours sort out their differences and reach an agreement. They can help you and your neighbour(s) understand each other’s point of view and reach a solution. Please contact your Housing Manager who will refer you to this service. 
  • If the DIY noise is persistent (on a daily basis and for continuous periods lasting 1 hour or more) during the evening, late at night or early morning and you do not feel safe approaching your neighbour, or you have tried and the situation has not improved, once you have contacted Sutton Council’s Environmental Health Team on 020 8770 5000, please complete our diary sheets (DOC 695KB) with dates and times of the incidents.

How to make a report

If you want to report persistent DIY noise, please use our form below.  

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) report form

You can attach your completed diary sheets (DOC 695KB) when you make your report.

If you believe that a business is being run from the property, please report this to your Housing Manager and Sutton Council’s Environmental Services Team on 020 8770 5000.

Read our tips for reducing noise in the home to minimise disturbance to neighbours.