Information on Carbon Monoxide


Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill if you're exposed to high levels.


Arrange your annual gas safety check now by calling Smith and Byfords.


Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood don't burn fully.


Gas, oil, coal and wood are sources of fuel used in many household appliances, including:


  • boilers

  • gas fires

  • central heating systems

  • water heaters

  • cookers

  • open fires


Incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated household appliances – such as gas cookers or boilers – are the most common causes of accidental exposure to carbon monoxide.


Carbon monoxide poisoning


The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning aren't always obvious, particularly during low-level exposure.


A tension-type headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Other symptoms include:


  • dizziness

  • nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting

  • tiredness and confusion

  • stomach pain

  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing


If you experience these symptoms and have a gas appliance, make yourself safe, seek medical attention and contact SHP.